Sunday, December 30, 2007

Safely handling peat moss....

Peat is used as a medium in my gardens and greenhouses a LOT! I usually buy it by the bale, and I always think it will last forever, but it is gone before I know it!

I mix my soils and medium in a big OLD cement mixer. It doesn't even have a motor on it, but it turns so fast by hand, I don't need a motor. I don't know that it ever had a motor on it.
I mix the mediums in the mixer, then park a wagon in front of it filled with pots. It is a snap to fill the pots then, just almost pour it from the mixer. Setting up pots is one of my least favorite jobs, so I am happy with anything that helps me get this done.

~Back to the facts about Peat~


As a rule, it takes dry peat a long time to absorb water. If you have cuttings in peat/perlite medium, you need to take care to not let them dry out. Water will bead up on top ot the medium, and seems to evaporate quicker than it is absorbed. It will hold water well, if you don't let it dry out to start with.


It is not good to be breathing the dry peat, either!


When I get a bale or a bag of peat in, I always poke a hole in the package and insert the water hose. Let the water run on low volumn until the peat is damp. Then mix it with perlite, vermiculite, sand or whatever you are using.


Much better to be safe than sorry.

No comments: